- Modern Union Pacific Grain Hoppers
1994, Society of Freight Car Historians. ISSN 0884-027X. 40 pages. Photos. Freight Cars Journal Monograph 22. Types, lease-outs, paint schemes, roster.
- UP Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment
1993 Morning Sun Books Inc., Edison, N.J. ISBN 1-878887-26-2. 128 pages. Collection of color work by company photographers, 1940s through 1960s, from UP Museum collection.
- UP Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment. Volume 2.
Edison. Morning Sun Books. 1996.300 photos, 128 pages.
- Union Pacific Freight Cars 1936-51
1989, Metcalfe Publications, Englewood, Colo. ISBN 0-9623347-0-7. 217 pages. Photos, diagrams and drawings. Appendices on auto car assignments, light weight stenciling, Jan. 1, 1946 Official Railway Equipment Register (UP), roster by class as of October 1951.
- Union Pacific Railroad, Freight Cars of the 1950’s
Mid-America Publications, Fremont, Neb. 1979, 102 pages. 2 sheets inside back cover w/8 PLN diagrams
- Union Pacific Freight Cars Today
1993, Society of Freight Car Historians. 64 pages. Photos. Roster, bibliography of published photos, tank containers, chronology 1981-1993, dispositions 1985-1993, class roster.
- Union Pacific Official Color Photography, Book 1
1993 Morning Sun Books Inc., Edison, N.J. ISBN 1-878887-25-4. Collection of color work by company photographers, 1940s through 1960s, from UP Museum collection. 128 pp.
- Union Pacific Equipment
1969, 144 pages of B&W photos and diagrams of passenger cars, freight cars and misc. equipment. Kratville Publishing
- Cabooses of the Union Pacific
2002, The Union Pacific Historical Society. 287 pages. Photos, diagrams. History of Union Pacific Railroad cabooses
- CA-11 Cabooses
1979, Overland Models Inc., Muncie, Ind. 40 pages. Photos, diagrams. History of Union Pacific Railroad cabooses with emphasis on CA-11 series.
- Cabooses, Crummies and Hacks, Vol 4, The Southwest
1993, H&M Productions, Flushing, N.Y. ISBN 9629037-4-4. 80 pages. Photos. Collection includes color photos of UP CA-1 through CA-13 classes.
Drawings And Diagrams
- Steam Era Freight Car Lettering Diagrams
Metcalfe Publications, Englewood, Colo. Six sheets in envelope. G-50-11, 13, 14; O-50-6, A-50-18, B-50-18 through B-50-39, HK-50-1 through 5, F-50-10, F-50-11, F-50-15, CA-3 and 4.
- Union Pacific Common Standard Drawings
1994, Challenger Press, Cheyenne, Wyo.
Vol 1: Bridges and Buildings, cattle guards, stock chutes and fire protection. Vol. 2: Roadway Signs, miscellaneous signs and structures. Vol 3: Signals and Track. Vol. 4: Roundhouse, Turntables and Water Tanks, fences, stores department and track tools.
Reproduction of Common Standard drawings between 1904 and 1990.
- Union Pacific Diesel Painting and Lettering
Metcalfe Publications, Englewood, Colo. Eight sheets in envelope. 1972-73 painting and lettering standards. GP7, AS616, S2, SD24B, GP30B, DD35B, U50, H20-44, GP38-2, U50C, SD40-2, DD40X, U28C, U30C, GP40X, SW10.
- Union Pacific Freight Cars Mechanical Design Drawings
Metcalfe Publications, Englewood, Colo. Eight sheets in envelope. G-50-13, B-50-24 & 27, B-50-41, A-50-18, A-50-14, A-50-19, CH-70-1, HK-50-5, HK-70-1, HK-50-4, S-40-12, G-50-11, O-50-6, F-50-10, G-70-1, CA-3 and 4.
- Union Pacific Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment, Vol 2
From the early 1950’s 128 pages Hard Cover, MorningSun Books
- Union Pacific Railroad Painting Guide, 1903-1930. Common Standard No. 22.
1981. 1st edition. Paperback. 108pp. Photos, diagrams. Reprints pages from U.P. common standards for paint with mixing instructions. Laid in is a laminated reproduction color chip page.
Original Railway Equipment Registers
These books list all freight cars in service at the publication date. Some have been reprinted by the NMRA. Here is a list of some older copies in libraries:
- Stanford Univ. Green Library has 6/1885 – 4/1917 then 4/1950 on with gaps.
- Barringer Library in St. Louis 1/1886 – 12/1891
- California Railroad Museum 1900-1932 and to current with gaps
- Westerfield has several early ones for sale on CD.